This September I took part in a two week, deservedly named 'intensive programme' held at the IUAV, entitled Archaeology's Places and Contemporary Uses. The workshop involved architecture students from Venice, Manchester and Barcelona as well as archaeology students from Catania.
Looking at four archaeological sites in the Veneto area, we worked in mixed groups to create proposals for sheltering the remains. I worked with a student from Venice and we consulted with a group of the archaeology students to create a shelter for a site in Concordia Sagittaria.
Facing language barriers and laid back Italians, it was actually the brief I found to be most challenging; Responding to the specific site, its historical narrative and archaeological remains whilst simultaneously designing a prototype shelter which could be rolled out across all archaeological sites.
Contemplating our completed proposal in hindsight raised questions in my mind of architecture for architecture's sake. Had we in fact produced a design that was architecturally and experientially rich with complete disregard for budget constraints and prototype-ability. Or in fact was the brief asking for two things completely at odds with each other.
Our proposal:



No comments:
Post a Comment