St Catherine's College, Oxford


Continuity in Architecture ventured down to Oxford last week to visit St Catherine's College. We were shown around Arne Jacobsen's original 1960's buildings and Steven Hodder's 1994 and 2005 additions.








Having wandered around, marveling at the detailing and rigor of Jacobsen's design, I left with a rather unsatisfying feeling. Whilst these buildings make for great photographs from nearly every angle, I couldn't help but sense people inhabiting the space were simply getting in the way of the architecture.

Do people make a mess of architecture, or can architecture leave no room for people. Or perhaps these ordered buildings are simply suited to the life of an Oxford College.





1 comment:

  1. I had my interview for Catz in one of those 2nd floor rooms. It was a December evening. The curtains were left open with the two interviewers' backs to the large window and a spotlight on the interviewee facing outwards. This way, everyone in the quad could see the proceedings, but the interviewee (i.e. me) could see only light. A real interrogation. Ok, you've got the picture, now answer this: "When an ice cube in a glass of water melts, does the water level go up or down?"
    I love the building, though with and without people.

    ReplyDelete